Saturday, February 6, 2010

When I first started this blog last summer I led off with an entry about why I am a Phillies fan for life. As time went by and we got into the playoffs and the off-season I got to know so many of you through Twitter and it really made my heart swell to feel that brotherly love reach all the way down here to Virginia Beach. I grew up in the Philadelphia area and I was always surrounded by the team spirit that comes with that but I can’t help but feel incredibly lonely in a city that is such a hodgepodge of cultures. Living in the home of the largest naval base in the world I meet tons of people every day that are from all walks of life – but not many of them hail from Philly.

I recently discovered the woman who sits on the opposite side of the cubical wall from me at work is a big enough Phillies fan to wear a Victorino jersey (complete with WFC patch on the sleeve) on a casual day and I nearly hung up her phone while she was talking to a customer just to have a conversation with her about baseball. I’ve slowly but surely gotten my husband’s wardrobe to include a couple of team shirts and I’m pretty certain he’s learning to tolerate my “enthusiasm” better and better every day.

So that brings me back to my Twitter family. I love knowing day or night, winter, spring, summer or fall you guys are there to talk about our national past time. You are some of the most dedicated, hardcore fans I have ever known and for that I thank you. I cannot wait to see you all at the Phillies Nation tailgate before opening day and to cheer on Doc & the rest of our Fightin’ Phils as they take the field for the first time in 2010.

The other day I asked you all to tell me what the Phillies mean to you, what your favorite Phillies memories are, or just why you love baseball in general. The response was overwhelming and I must say – you made me love baseball even more than I thought I already could. So with that here is why YOU are fans, why YOU love your team and why YOU continue to make Philadelphia the best sports city in the WORLD!


“My favorite memory was making last minute plans with my dad to see Ashburn & Schmidt get inducted. Had to stay in Scranton.” – John Cruice (@phi162)



“Phillies getting beat by the Reds in a meaningless 1990 game – it was the first time I saw them at the Vet (from the 700 level).” – @soundofphilly



“Three rows from the top of the 700 level… pennant clincher vs. the Braves in 1993 with my dad… the whole Vet mocking the tomahawk chop… never forget it. I also remember the ‘96 All Star game at the Vet. I had box seats on the field for the HR derby. 115 degrees on field that day. Hot as hell.” – Ian Dixon (@dixonij)



“Driving in the car with my dad back when I was a kid, I remember we would get to our destination on more than one occasion and we would just sit in the car and listen to Harry and Whitey because we had to find out what was gonna happen.” – Michael Hendricks (@JudeNewcomb)

“Cliff Lee’s ‘you bore me’ catch in the World Series.” – PJ Gillam (@pjgillam)



“Phillies = Love! Favorite moment has to be the 2008 World Series title!” – Amanda Orr (@amandax23)

“In ‘93 I realized for the first time that the world sucks. In ‘08 I remembered that sometimes it’s not that bad.” – Mike Mader (@mikeonthephils)



“Harry’s final out call of 2008 World Series.” – @DurtyBirdz



“What baseball means to me: the feeling that anything is possible. Favorite Phillies Moment: Game 6 NLCS 1993. Bright eyed & bushy tailed. I felt sure they would win it all.” – Jessica Quiroli (@heelsonthefield)

“Walking around my house carrying a broom for every sweep in ‘93 – I was 8.” – @seeley2



“As of right now my favorite Phillies memory is being at game 4 of the 2008 World Series with game 5 of the ‘09 NLCS a close second.” – Tommy (@TommymacWFC)

“When I was four, my mom lost me at Sears because I stopped to look at a Phillies hat. She found me, and I got the hat!” – Valerie Duhaime (@valerieduhaime)

“The only game I saw with both of my parents was in 1972. It was the game that Steve Carlton won his 20th of 27 that year!! Cy Young!!” – Todd Schmitt (@tfs27)



“My favorite Phillies memory has to be seeing Kevin Millwood’s no-hitter in 2003 from the upper deck, right behind home plate.” – Max (@uublog)



“When Maine’s own Matt Stairs launched the Broxton pitch into the seats in the 08 NLCS. Best. Moment. Ever.” – Matt Boutwell (@CMSBMatty)



“Simply stated the Phillies are the first team that I feel has ever given back as much as the fans put in.” – Brendan Mooney (@BrendanCMooney)

I couldn’t agree with you more, Brendan. I couldn’t agree with you more. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment