Monday, January 2, 2012

Mother, May I...

...inhabit your belly for an extra two weeks please?

At least, if Maddie could talk I would imagine this is what she's been asking me with every kick, punch, jab and roll I've been lucky enough to endure for an extra 11 days (so far).

When I found out I was pregnant about two years ago (OK... in April), the first thing I asked my doctor was how long she would be willing to let me go past my due date. I realize that most women probably want to get through their pregnancies as quickly as possible, with some even opting for elective inductions or c-sections, but the thought of any type of medical "intervention" beyond some pain killers terrifies me.

For anyone that knows me, I'm definitely not your gung-ho natural birth ambassador. For women that know they're strong enough to do it all on their own, good for them. I still want to be numb from the waist down when the show gets on the road. But to intentionally torture myself with drugs that make labor come on harder and faster that has a 50% chance of ending up in major surgery? No thank you. Some things are better left alone, if you ask me.

When it got down to the wire, my new OB, which I switched to around 30 weeks, was estimating that Maddie may come two or three days late, but she probably wouldn't have me go much more than seven or eight days past my due date. She scheduled an NST (non-stress test) for a few days after my due date to see how both the baby and my body were responding to some extra baking time and since we both passed with flying colors (twice, actually), she decided to let me go another week to see if my body would go into labor on it's own before 42 weeks.

Well here I am at 41 weeks and four days and there's been no sign of labor whatsoever. We'll go back in for another NST tomorrow and then Dr. Nowroozi will decide once and for all what she's doing with me. From the sound of it, it seems like if I'm progressing at all in the land down under she'll schedule me for an induction, but if not we may skip straight to the c-section.

Now of course with Maddie taking her sweet time and no definite answer from the Doc as to when and how this is all going to happen, everyone around me seems to have become more anxious than Brendan and I ourselves. Some people think I must not have calulated my LMP (last menstration) correctly, others think the doctor is a quack for letting me go "so long." When non-doctors question my physician, it makes my skin crawl. Dr. Nowroozi has been practicing obstetrics and gynecology for almost 50 years -- I think she knows what she's doing!

So here are some stats to ease everyone else's mind so Brendan and I can get on with preparing for our little one in peace:

My LMP date is March 17, 2011. How do I know this for sure? I was in Clearwater, at a Phillies game, in the bathroom, yelling at the lady trying to get in my bathroom stall before I had even poked my head out that unless she had a feminine product to spare, she wasn't getting in. We went to three games when I was there. It wasn't the day I wore white shorts, and it wasn't the third game. So trust me, I'm positive I have the date correct.

Based on a 28-day cycle and my LMP, my estimated (key word: ESTIMATED) due date was December 22, 2011. Fun fact: only five percent of babies are born on their due date.

After getting my big fat positive on the pregnancy test, I went for my first ultrasound at six weeks. When ultrasounds are done early enough, usually prior to eight weeks gestation, an ultrasound can be very accurate in predicting the gestational age of the baby. When I went for my six-week appointment, Baby O. was measuring five weeks six days. Not too shabby.

Every appointment after that, which was monthly until I reached 30-weeks, the size of my uterus (or fundal height) was measured using a very simple method - measuring tape. From bottom to top, however many centimeters fat my belly was getting corresponded to how many weeks along I was measuring. Only two appointments out what's been nearly 20 by now have measured something other than which week I actually was. And, to be fair, those were the weeks I went on a Monday or Tuesday instead of my regular Thursday appointment days. Once I measured a week ahead, and once I measured a week behind. I'm splitting the difference before I start splitting hairs, though, and calling it was it is - a perfectly timed progressing baby.

So now that we're fairly certain I'm not harboring a baby with a gestational age of eight months versus nine and a half, let's move on to why I haven't yet induced and why I'm a lot more comfortable with that than a lot of other people seem to be.

We've already seen how only five percent of babies are born on their actual due date. Well, about half of all pregnancies go beyond that magic date. Furthermore, about seven percent of babies are born at 42-weeks or later.

Yes, there are plenty of reasons why women induce not too much longer after their due date has passed. For many, it's because the doctor has recommended it due to either the baby or the mother's bodies simply no longer responding positively to the pregnancy. Perhaps mom has developed preeclampsia (or pregnancy induced hypertension) which can cause complications in labor and delivery, or maybe the baby is just plain old getting too big to try delivering the traditional way. So far, neither of these things have happened to us. I don't have gestational diabetes, my blood pressure took a temporary spike but calmed down after a week or two of observation, Maddie's heart rate does not drop when I have my fun little practice contractions (or Braxton Hicks contractions), she has plenty of amniotic fluid to swim around it, and have I mentioned the fact that I don't want to be induced if there's no medical reason to?

On the other hand, there are some moms out there that, in their words, simply can't stand the thought of being pregnant anymore, or want to pick a certain birth date for their child (seriously) and happen to have a willing physician that will perform an elective induction. Taking the baby out too early scares the daylights out of me, and here's why:
  • Approximately 50% of induced labors end up in a c-section because the mother's body was simply not ready to progress enough for a vaginal delivery.
  • The medicine administered during an induced labor is meant to bring contractions on harder and faster to progress and dilate the cervix. These "unnatural" contractions can cause the baby to go into distress. Their heart rate may drop with each contraction, they may not be recieving enough oxygen, etc. The mom also becomes more exhausted faster leaving her with little energy to push when the time comes - all of these things can lead to a c-section.
  • The risk of infection for both mother and baby increases dramatically. Typically when you are induced, you water is broken for you. Most practitioners recommend that mom goes no longer than 24-hours with broken membranes to reduce the risk of infection both in herself and the baby. These bacterial infections can lead to complications beyond birth that could have been avoided by allowing the body to progress naturally or having skipped the medical induction and gone straight to a c-section.
Of course there are risks with a c-section as well, but in my not-so-professional opinion, I feel that a lot of the complications and risks of a medical induction can be avoided especially if it's known the mother's body simply isn't going to favor a traditional delivery.

So long story made longer, this is why we have chosen to simply wait out mother nature. Of course we would like to avoid a major surgery if at all possible, simply because, hello, c-sections are major-freaking-surgery. But why even opt for surgery if everyone is healthy and (relatively) happy even at 42 weeks?

Because as high risk as a c-section may be in terms of recovery, leaving a baby to cook longer than necessary is even riskier. Point blank, the placenta may or may not simply stop working after 42 weeks of pregnancy. The organ that is the baby's lifeline may fail. That is huge. I would rather deal with a scar and some stitches than risk my child's life by either taking her out too early or letting her bake too long. If my doctor thinks 42 weeks is just right, then 42 weeks it will be.

So hopefully you all feel better knowing that one way or another Madeleine will be here by this time next week. And of course, when I know what's going on, so will all of you. But until then I hope everyone can understand or at least respect why we're choosing to wait before we drag her out kicking and screaming (literally!).

But if she decided to make an appearance, say, today, that wouldn't be so bad either ;-) Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment