Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Doctoral Dissertation: There Are No Words

I got back to the hotel around 9:00 PM last night, and I've been mulling over this ever since. How exactly can I put into words what Roy Halladay just did? I could write a simple, yet resonating piece reflecting on the evening a la Zoo With Roy, I could analyze every millisecond of the last pitch like Crashburn Alley, or I could write a telling recap the way Dash Treyhorn writes for The Fightins night after night. But in all honesty, the only things I can think of to say are "Doc is three pitches away from pitching three perfect games in 2010," "if he hadn't already, Roy Halladay just put the seal on his Cy Young Award," and "the Jays should fold their entire franchise for stifling him for so long." I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, and that's OK. The best I can do is bring you some pictures documenting the evening from my seat in the stands. If a picture is worth a thousand words, consider this my Doctoral Dissertation.

Reds & Phillies line up for the National Anthem before Game One of the NLDS.



Former Phillie Scott Eyre throws out the ceremonial first pitch to Mike Sweeney



The Phillies take the field for the first inning.

Roy Halladay throws out his first career postseason pitch.

Doc strikes out Scott Rolen, who went 0-3 with three K's in the game.



Halladay steps up to the plate. He would drive in an RBI during this at bat.



Halladay's pitch count in the top of the fifth. He woul throw over 75% of his pitches for strikes in game one, including 25 of 28 first pitch strikes to Reds batters.



Fans on their feet and rally towels in the air for virtually every pitch.

The final out.



The team begins to celebrate around Doc for pitching the second no hitter in postseason history



The bottom line

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment